Tutorial - Organising The Category Tree
In this section of the tutorial you will learn about organising the category
tree. There are a number of different things that can done in the way of
organising categories but in this tutorial we will just look at moving a
category and adding a new category.
- Select Categories - Organise Categories
from the main menu. You will see the category tree (without check boxes) in the
left pane and a number of buttons. First we will add a new category at the
- Click the Add button and type Favourites as your new
category. Check the "Place at root" box and click ok. You will now
see the new category added to the root of the tree. If you hit return before
checking the "Place at root" box, not to worry, just select Favourites,
wherever it is, and click the Move to Root button.
- Now we will move a category to a new location. We will move the Historical
category and place it under the Subject category.
- Select Historical and click the Pick Up button.
- Select Subject and click the Drop button. You will now see
the Historical category has been moved to be a sub-category under Subject.
All images in the database associated with the Historical category
will have their associations adjusted accordingly.
- These changes are made immediately so there are no OK or Cancel
buttons simply click Done. You will see the changes have been made to
the category tree.
- Now we are going to add the Favourites category to a number of
images. Fortunately we do not have to edit each individual image to achieve
- Select the Subject category and no others. Most of the images in
the database will now be displayed as most have a subject associated with
- Select a number of the images to be your favourites. OK, so maybe you
don't like any of them :-) but for the purposes of this tutorial select a
few. You can use the shift and control keys when clicking to select multiple
- Select Categories - Add/Remove Category
In the dialog select Favourites in the left pane and click the Add
button, you will see them added to the right pane, which shows only those
categories common to all the selected images. Click OK.
- Now select the Favourites category and only your favourites will be
Go to the next step
For more information on Organising the category tree go here.
© 2004 Focus Software Solutions www.focussoftware.co.uk