Tutorial - The Category Tree (and a little more!)
In this section of the tutorial you will find out how to use the Category
tree to select images from the database and also a little about viewing the
images and editing their properties.
- If it is not already open, open the sample database sample.idb.
It should be located in the same folder that you originally installed the
program in. If you
could not find the images folder then you have probably
downloaded the program without the sample database and you will therefore
have to use the other tutorial.
- Ensure the AND/OR category association is set to AND by clicking Categories
- AND Categories. It should have been set to AND by default when you
first ran the program.
- Examine the structure of the category tree in the left pane by expanding
and contracting categories using the + and - boxes.
- Expand the Subject category and select Mountains. Note that
it is not necessary to also select Subject. There should now be a
number of images displayed as thumbnails.
- Expand the Location category and select Norway. Now only
three images will be displayed these are images of Norwegian mountains.
IE. only those images that have both Mountains and Norway
associated with them will be displayed.
- Right click the first of these images and select Edit
Image Properties (you could also have used Images - Edit Properties
from the main menu). You will see in the left hand pane that there are a
large number of categories associated with this image but for now just note
that amongst them are Subject - Mountains and Location - Norway.
Also note that there is another sub-category to Norway associated
with this image - Hardanger - this is the area in Norway where the
image was taken.
- Click Cancel and now, to narrow the selection further, expand the Norway
category and select Hardanger. Now only the one image is displayed -
the others were taken in a different part of Norway. This is how categories
are used to find particular images from a potentially very large database.
Viewing the images
- Unselect Norway and Hardanger. You should now be back to
viewing all images under the category Mountains images.
- To view an image full size - double click the thumbnail. Another click
will return you to the thumbnail view.
- Select View from the main menu and ensure there is no tick against Shrink
To Fit. If there is, click that option to unselect it.
- Expand the whole program window to be full screen. (Use the normal
minimise/maximise buttons in the top right or double click the title bar)
- Double click any one image to view it full size.
- Hit the up and down arrow keys a few times and you should see the image
zoom in and out.
- Hit the left and right arrow buttons a few times and you will see it step
through the next and previous images. The blue left and right arrow buttons
on the toolbar will achieve the same thing.
- Return the program to a normal window again with the minimise/maximise
buttons or double clicking the title bar.
Go to the next step
For more information on the Category Tree go here.
© 2004 Focus Software Solutions www.focussoftware.co.uk